Importance of Durability Tests on Displays
Over the decades, the touch design has been changing from the simple button/knob to a display, either non-interactive or interactive touchscreen. Since 2012, OEMs in various industries start to install touchscreens into their product. ABREX®-D is designed for display durability testing.
ABREX®-ABRASION, is a soft-chemo-mechanical fingertip & hand abrasion tester. The simulated wear pattern matches reality with 99% accuracy. It is a highly complex abrasion process which involves:
• A 45° angle impact driven by a dynamic pneumatic cylinder attached with a viscoelastic fingertip under a defined load;
• Then a friction rubbing or tumbling motion between the sample and a textile containing dirt, dandruff, oil, sweat or various types of testing liquids;
Followed by a retraction movement with or without the contact at the surface depending on the application.
|Friction Path||4-40 mm|
|Standard Cyclic Speed|
Abrasion, cleanability tests)
|6 ± 0.5 cm/s||6 ± 0.5 cm/s (S mode);|
20 cm/s (D mode
|6 ± 0.5 cm/s|
|Scratch Speed |
|N/A||20 ± 2cm/s & 70 ± 5 cm/s acc. to GS97034-2 for fingernail test 70 ± 5 cm/s acc. to GS 97034-3 for shoe sole test.||N/A*||N/A||6 ± 0.5 cm/s||20 ± 2cm/s & 70 ± 5 cm/s acc. to GS97034-2 for fingernail test 70 ± 5 cm/s acc. to GS 97034-3 for shoe sole test.|
|both 10mm & 20mm for 3 temperature range: -40-0o C | 0-30o C and 30-85o C||both 10mm & 20mm for 3 temperature range: -40-0o C | 0-30o C and 30-85o C|
|Liquid||Automatic | Manual|
|Fabric||Automatic | Feed Adjustable|
|Electricity||230V / 50Hz; 110V / 60Hz|
|Compressed Air||4 bar, external, oil free, water free|
Displays are nowadays widely integrated into various consumer products:
Automotive: car, truck, bike, motorcycle
Telecommunication: mobile phone, pad, watch, E-book
White goods: refrigerator, washing machine, dish washer, stove
Small Electronics and many more
• Scratches and fingerprints can easily appear due to normal usage.
• Scratches can be easily made under dynamic motion of human being.
• Fingerprint or dirt print is another issue; either easily removed by a few cleaning steps or certain anti-fingerprint coatings are applied to prevent those imprints.
• Customer will not return or exchange the display due to those defects, but instead, the complete product.
• Current display or touchscreen has various functional layers of coatings, and they are transparent (not visible to human eye)
• Abrasion is often caused by human finger touch/ swipe/ zoom actions and other mechanical loads.
• Layers of functional coatings could be damaged without the visibility of human eye.
“Made in Germany” Engineering
It is at the heart of our family business.
We develop and produce quality testing machines for evaluation
of your materials, surfaces and coatings.
Fax: +49 (0)931 32298 – 12
Friedrich-Bergius-Ring 11 | 97076 Würzburg | Germany